Waverley Borough Council

Local Land Charges

Local Land Charges Searches

How can I request a land search?

You can use our local land charges forms to submit a search request.

A solicitor, licensed conveyancer or personal search company usually applies for a search to be made, but private individuals or organisations can also make them.
To submit a search request, please complete the relevant form(s) and then email them to landcharges@waverley.gov.uk, and we will contact you by phone upon receipt to organise payment.
Alternatively the forms can be printed, filled in by hand and posted to:

Local Land Charges
Waverley Borough Council
The Burys

DX address: 58303 Godalming 1

Please note: All search requests must be accompanied by a plan with the boundary of your search area clearly marked, and any searches submitted by post must be sent in duplicate.

Submit searches online using the National Land Information Service

The National Land Information Service (NLIS) provides electronic access to all the official sources of land and property information across the whole of England and Wales. You can submit Local Authority searches online using their website: http://www.nlis.org.uk/.

How long does it take to process?

Once we have received your search request and made sure everything is in order, we will begin processing it. Currently we are taking up to 4 working days to return search results.

If this time has elapsed and you have not received your search results, please do not hesitate to contact us for a status update on your search. We are able to reproduce search results in the event that they have gone missing.

Please note: The cut off point for accepting new searches each day is 10:30am. If we receive your search request after this time we will begin processing it the following working day.

How much does it cost?

The table below shows the fees for submitting the various forms.

These fees include the Surrey County Council surcharge for answering questions related to highways (£32).
 LLC1  £40
 CON29R  £155
 CON29O  £15 per question
 Additional questions  £20 per question
 Extra parcels of land (full search)  £20 per parcel

 Extra parcels of land (LLC1 only)  £5 per parcel
 Extra parcels of land (CON29R only)  £15 per parcel

A 'full search' consists of the LLC1 and the CON29R submitted together, the fee for which is £195.

Guidance on what is construed as an 'extra parcel of land' can be found on page 2 of the LLC1 form. (In the instance that you are searching a single flat/apartment in a block, we will not charge for extra parcels provided you have specified which flat/apartment you are searching.)

If you are uncertain about whether your search area contains any extra parcels of land, you can email a scanned copy of your plan to us at landcharges@waverley.gov.uk and we will respond to you with a quote.

Is it possible to cancel my search request?

Yes, however once we have received your instruction to proceed with the search, you must notify us that you wish to cancel your search by 12pm on the day we start processing it. Beyond this time it will be too late for us to halt the process.


What is a land search and why do I need one?

If you are looking to buy any land or property, before doing so you may need to request a Local Land Charges search (also referred to as a Local Authority search or a land search).
The results of a search will reveal any information that the Council holds that will be relevant to your decision to purchase, such as whether the land has any land charges upon it, a full copy of the planning history and details about any public highways (roads, footpaths, bridleways, etc) in the area.

What is a Land Charge?

Land charges come in many varieties, but what they all boil down to is an obligation that the owner or any subsequent owner of the land will need to comply with - quite literally, a charge upon the land. For example, these could be conditions imposed in any planning permissions that have been granted, protected trees that must not be damaged, monies owed to third parties, or restrictions on permitted development.
All land charges come with their own obligations, and it is important to be aware of any that affect the property you are looking to purchase.

Breakdown of the different forms

The LLC1 is a search of the land register (not to be confused with the Land Registry), which is a record of all the land charges that are currently in effect within the Borough.

The CON29R is a set list of questions that are answered by various departments within the Council and the highways authority - in our case, Surrey County Council. A breakdown of all the questions can be found on page 2 of the CON29R form.

There is also a list of optional questions called the CON29O. Again, a breakdown of these questions can be found on page 2 of the CON29O form.

These forms can either be submitted together or separately, so for example if there is just one question on the CON29O that you would like answered there is no need to submit a full search (we will still require a plan however).

Finally, if you there is anything else you wish to know about the land that isn't revealed as standard, you can ask any additional questions of your own.

Page owner: Jack Andrew. Last updated: 21/10/2014 17:03

Further pages in Local Land Charges

  1. Local Land Charges Searches
  2. Information About Personal Searches
  3. Contact Information