Join us on our weekly health walks, which give you the opportunity to take regular exercise, enjoy your local environment and meet new people. Best of all, the walks are FREE.
All you need to do is turn up in suitable clothes and comfortable shoes to enjoy the walk.
Details about the walks
- Most walks are 40-60 minutes and approximately two miles.
- Walks routes vary every week and some locations offer a longer walk once every month.
- Walks take account of the pace of the slowest person, but the aim is for brisk walking to increase your heart rate and make you breathe a little faster than normal.
Register before your first walk
Please allow five minutes to register at the start of your first walk so you can fill in a brief registration form.
You will need your GP's agreement if you have been diagnosed or have problems with your heart, balance, joints or bones or have experienced pains in the chest.
Walk times and locations
To ensure that walks are available for all abilities a 30 minute maximum walk is offered from the venues as follows:
- Haslemere - first Tuesday of the month at 3pm from Haslewey Community Centre.
- Farnham - first Tuesday of the month at 10.30am from Brightwell's Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way.
- Godalming - second Thursday of the month at 11am from the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park. The meeting point can be found opposite the council offices car park (yellow barriers).
- Cranleigh - every Thursday at 10.30am from Cranleigh Leisure Centre. Cranleigh also offer a 10-30 minute shorter walk on the first Thursday of every month at 10.30am from Cranleigh Leisure Centre.
Every Wednesday and Saturday at 11am at Cranleigh Leisure Centre. Cranleigh walks tend to be slightly longer and faster (approximately 90 mins and are from 3-4 miles long). New walkers are recommended to start with the shorter walks.
Every Tuesday at 10.30am at Brightwell's Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way. Two walks are offered each week, including a shorter slower walk which takes about 60 mins. A third faster, longer walk is also offered on the last Tuesday of each month, for the more experienced walkers.
Tea and coffee are available at the end of every walk (payable at the time), and on the last Tuesday of the month, all walkers are invited to come along to a lunch at the Gostrey Centre (please bring money).
Every Thursday at 11am at the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park.
The meeting point can be found by taking the entrance path into the Park, opposite the Council Offices car park (yellow barriers), then turning left along Riverside Walk for about 15 metres.
A longer walk replaces the short walk on the first Thursday of each month; this includes a pub lunch (for which you will need to bring money).
Please note that parking times are only advisory, and we cannot be responsible if the walk lasts longer than expected.
Every Tuesday at 2.30pm at Haslewey Community Centre.
Every Thursday at 1pm from the High Lane Community Centre.
Every Saturday at 11am from Haslemere Leisure Centre.
New volunteer leaders wanted
We always need new leaders and full training is provided on a local one-day training courses. No previous experience is necessary, just a willingness to help and an enjoyment of walking to share with others.
If you are interested in training to become a walk leader, please try a walk, then contact Carol Searle at Places for People, firstname.lastname@example.org, 01252 723208 to register your interest.
About Walks for Health
The Waverley Walks for Health scheme is part of Walking for Health (a national initiative now led by the Ramblers, with support from Macmillan Cancer Support).
Contact your local leisure centre for details on specific walks in your area:
- Haslemere Tel: 01428 658484
- Godalming Tel: 01483 410500
- Farnham Tel: 01252 723208
- Cranleigh Tel: 01483 274400
For general information about all walks in the scheme, please contact Carol Searle (Walks for Health Contact at Places for People)
Tel: 01252 723208
Page owner: Amy McNulty. Last updated: 07/04/2016 16:14