Stray, lost and found dogs
If you allow your dog to stray unattended without identification, it may be impounded and taken to Treetop Kennels.
We will then impose a charge before the dog can be returned to its owner. Charges increase daily to a maximum of seven days.
If the dog is not collected within seven days, then it is given to Treetops for re-homing.
Have you found or lost a dog?
We will arrange to collect detained stray dogs. If you have found a stray and have been able to keep hold of it, please contact us to arrange collection.
The police will no longer accept stray dogs at any police stations or take any notifications of a lost dog but will continue to be responsible for taking action over dangerous dogs and the theft of dogs.
If you have lost your dog please report it to us, with a full description of the dog and the time and place it was lost.
How to report a lost or found dog
Please call the Environmental Health customer support team on 01483 523393 during office hours (Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm) or 02392 242161(at other times).
Special arrangements for Christmas and New Year
Our offices will be closed from 4pm on 24 December 2013 to 8:45am on 2 January 2014. Please contact Treetops Kennels and check their opening times, below.
Finding a dog outside office hours
If you find a dog outside office hours, you will be asked to:
- Hold onto the dog until the next working day,or
- Take the dog to the reception centre at Treetops Kennels and follow the instructions found at reception.
Tel: 01483 572588 (this number is office hours only)
Opening hours for collecting a found dog
You can collect a found dog from Treetops Kennels:
- Monday - Saturday 8am - 6pm
- Sundays - 10am - 2pm
- Bank Holidays - closed
Special arrangements for Christmas and New YearOver Christmas and New Year, Treetops Kennels will be open:
- Christmas Eve, 24 Dec - Open 10am to 2pm
- Christmas Day, 25 Dec - Closed
- Boxing Day, 26 Dec - Open 10am to 2pm
- New Year's Eve 31 Dec - Open 10am to 2pm
- New Year's Day 1 Jan 2014 Closed
- All other days are normal opening hours.
Other places to look for your lost dog
You may also like to contact the following:
- Any other kennels in the area, including boarding kennels.
- Rehoming centres in your area, such as Dogs Trust, RSPCA, Blue Cross and National Animal Welfare Trust. You may also find that there are some small local sanctuaries. Look in your local phone directory under 'Animal Welfare' for contact details, or try your vet or library.
- If your dog is a pedigree, try local breeders. Contact the Kennel Club - 0870 6066750 for details of your local breed rescue group.
- Veterinary surgeries in your area. Sadly, your dog may have been involved in a traffic accident and been taken to the vet for treatment.
Page owner: Debourah Holland. Last updated: 10/12/2013 16:59