Published Tuesday, 5 September 2017
Six of Waverley’s Green Flag Award-winning parks and green spaces are in with a chance of being crowned the national People's Choice winner – but they need your votes.
Blackheath Common, Broadwater Park in Farncombe, Farnham Park, Frensham Great Pond and Common and the Lammas Land and Phillips Memorial Park in Godalming are all in with a chance of winning the coveted title after winning Green Flag Awards this summer.
They will be up against the other 1,797 parks and green spaces that won Green Flag Awards this year.
Councillor Kevin Deanus, Portfolio Holder for Community Services, said: “We’ve got to get behind our parks and green spaces and I hope I can count on lots of residents to vote for their favourite in Waverley.
“All of our parks are maintained by our fantastic volunteers under the guidance of our expert rangers – I think we can all agree they do a fantastic job to keep them looking so brilliant for us all to enjoy.
“So I’d like to appeal to all our park users to vote and let’s get our parks the recognition they deserve, on a national scale.”
Paul Todd, International Green Flag Award manager said, “Following the huge success of #LoveParks Week, the People’s Choice Award is another chance to show how much your favourite park means to you. Make your voice heard and vote now.”
To vote go to www.greenflagaward.org, find your favourite Waverley park on the map and click the vote button. Voting closes on 30 September, with the top 10 winning sites being announced on 11 October.
Notes to Editors
Keep Britain Tidy is a leading environmental charity that cares for the environment on your doorstep. We work to improve the quality of parks and green spaces, eliminate littering and reduce waste. We run programmes including Eco-Schools, the Green Flag Award for parks and green spaces and the Blue Flag/Seaside Awards for beaches. To find out more about Keep Britain Tidy, our programmes and campaigns visit www.keepbritaintidy.org
The Green Flag Awards Scheme (http://greenflagaward.org/) is run by the environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy, under licence from the Department of Communities and Local Government, in partnership with Keep Scotland Beautiful, Keep Wales Tidy and Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful.
Last year’s top 10 People’s Choice winners were:
· Alexandra Palace Park, managed by Alexandra Palace Charitable Trust
· Arlington Square Gardens, managed by the Arlington Association
· Clifton Park, managed by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
· Elsecar Park and Local Reservoir Nature Reserve, managed by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
· Margam Park, managed by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council
· Millennium Country Park, managed by Forest of Marston Vale Trust
· Mote Park, managed by Maidstone Borough Council
· Strathhaven Park, managed by South Lanarkshire Council
· Victoria Park (Tower Hamlets), managed by London Borough of Tower Hamlets
· Warley Woods, managed by Warley Woods Community Trust
For further information contact:
Tel: 01483 523296
Web : www.waverley.gov.uk