Published Thursday, 8 March 2018
In 2017 more than 151 people aged 50+ started a new sport or activity in Waverley.
Activities included dance, swimming, bowls and golf. The swimming classes proved a particular success with feedback ranging from improved fitness and confidence to overcoming a fear of drowning and learning to swim.
A swimming class participant said: "When I joined the over 50s swimming group I couldn’t swim at all. I wasn’t frightened of the water, only drowning. I felt so much better after the lessons.
"I am so proud of my certificate and badge. I honestly did not think I would be able to swim within the eight weeks. I really would love to continue swimming."
Activities available under the Get Active 50+ scheme are:
Cranleigh Leisure Centre
- Older adults swimming course, Tuesdays, 10-10.30am
Haslemere Leisure Centre
- Older adults swimming courses, Monday, 10.45-11.45am
Farnham Leisure Centre
- Cage cricket, Thursdays, 12-1pm
- Nifty 50s aerobic class, Monday, 12-1pm
- Senior sports club (includes; badminton, short tennis, table tennis, short mat bowls), Tuesdays, 1-4pm
- Strength and balance aerobic class, Thursdays, 1.45-2.45pm
- 50+ Thai Chi, Fridays, 2-2.45pm
- Senior Sports Club (includes; Badminton, short tennis, table tennis, short mat bowls), Fridays, 1-4pm
Godalming Leisure Centre
- Legs, tums and bums, Tuesdays, 10.30-11.30am
- Not so fit aqua, Tuesdays, 11.20-11.50am
- Stretch, Thursdays, 11.35am-12.05pm
The Edge Leisure Centre
- Activelife aerobics, Tuesdays, 9.30-10.30am
- Circuits, Thursdays, 9.30-10.30am
- Activelife, Fridays, 9.30-10.30am
For a full list of activities please visit www.waverley.gov.uk/leisure.