Farnham Memorial Hall Regeneration
The Memorial Hall is a valuable asset for Farnham and is home to a number of community and voluntary groups and activities. A number of local groups hire the main hall for dance, fitness, martial arts as well as some use for social functions.
Brightwells Gostrey offers a variety of services and activities for older people in the community, including those with mild dementia and offers a wide range of services including companionship, freshly cooked meals, refreshments, therapeutic services and activities.
In December 2014 the council agreed to undertake a feasibility study into the potential of relocating the Brightwells Gostrey to the Memorial Hall as an opportunity to secure the future of the two key community facilities.
It was identified that refurbishing the Memorial Hall, creating one building instead of two, would improve the current community facilities, making it a more attractive venue, and providing a new and enhanced home for the Brightwells Gostrey .
Waverley Training Services (WTS) have been delivering fully-funded, work-based qualifications and apprenticeships for the last 30 years throughout Surrey and the surrounding borders.
In July 2016 the council agreed to relocate WTS to the Memorial Hall. With the growing demand for apprentices it is important to safeguard the future of WTS by providing improved facilities that best suit the service.
Armfield Construction, a Surrey based building and contracting company, has been selected to carry out the refurbishment works. Armfield Construction has an extensive portfolio of public sector projects in the South East and within Surrey including Charterhouse School, Godalming College and Priors Field School.
The refurbishment and extension works will provide a new modern space for existing and new users of the Memorial Hall as well as saving the much-loved hall. The improvements will create a new community and wellbeing centre for Farnham and the surrounding area.
Aims of the project
The aims are to:
- repair and refurbish the hall, safeguarding the future of the building
- improve the building facilities by adding additional and flexible spaces
- provide improved rentable space for local groups
- improve the facility as an events venue for single hire occasions
- provide new services and facilities that help deliver an 'ageing well' service to residents
- develop a strong management strategy that ensures the services and the building are protected, improved and sustainable.
In addition to the refurbishment of the main hall, the plans include:
- two activity rooms
- a health and wellbeing suite
- a terrace overlooking the football pitch
- a meeting room
- two classrooms
- modern office space to deliver services
- a dining area served by a new kitchen
- a glass atrium linking the new build element to the original hall.
Stakeholder consultation has taken place with:
- Gostrey Centre trustees and management
- North East Hampshire & Farnham Clinical Commissioning Group
- Surrey County Council Commissioning
- Current users of the Memorial Hall
- Farnham Town Football Club
- Residents that live close to the Hall.
Timescales and key dates
The construction process is estimated to take a year. Work is due to begin on site in September 2016 and the new facility is expected to be available to the public by spring 2018.
- Construction of new changing room facilities for Farnham Town Football Club - complete
- Farnham Town Football Club move into new changing rooms - complete
- Memorial Hall contractor, Armfield Construction, arrives on site to begin work.
- Memorial Hall construction complete.
Page owner: Vanessa de Chazal. Last updated: 30/07/2018 17:00