If you think you might become homeless we will help try to prevent this. We can:
- provide advice on your legal rights
- refer you for further help eg debt advice, mediation, etc
- advise you on possible alternative housing options. This could include referral to supported housing or hostels or help in finding a private rented tenancy etc.
It may be possible, with the right advice, when problems first begin, that the loss of your home can be avoided. Before coming into the council offices, please complete the Housing Options wizard.
Hostels and night shelters if you are homeless now
Find out about hostels and nightshelters in the area.
If you are homeless and have already looked at other housing options, you can make a homeless application to any local authority.
Arrange an interview with us
If you apply to Waverley, we will arrange an interview which can take up to three hours. You will need to bring key documents about your last settled accommodation and other circumstances. These may include:
- proof of ID
- bank statements and pay slips
- proof of benefits
- proof of pregnancy
- tenancy agreement
- court papers
We will assess whether you:
- are eligible for assistance
- are homeless or threatened with homelessness
- are in priority need
- lost your home through a deliberate act or omission
- have a local connection.
We will discuss the criteria with you in greater detail when you make an application.
Whether or not we accept your application, we may help you to find private rented accommodation.
Find out more
Please call the housing options team on 01483 523188, Monday - Thursday 8.45am - 5.15, Friday 8.45am - 4.45pm. For out of hours emergencies call 01483 523200.
Know someone sleeping rough?
If you know someone who is sleeping rough, please call the housing options team on 01483 523188 for details of the help available.
Read our Homelessness Strategy.
Find out more about other housing options.
Page owner: Elizabeth Donaldson. Last updated: 25/09/2017 12:18