If you are interested in buying a home, but cannot afford to buy one outright, there are a number of Help To Buy schemes available, including shared ownership (part-rent, part-buy).
Households with an income of less than £80,000 can apply directly to the Help To Buy Agent for these schemes. You do not need to be on Waverley's Housing Register.
BPHA is the government-appointed Help To Buy Agent for Surrey.
Help To Buy schemes available
Shared ownership - new build and re-sales
Depending on how much you can afford, shared ownership allows you to buy a percentage share of a property while a local housing association retains the other share.
It is sometimes known as 'part-buy, part-rent' because you will then be charged a rental payment on the remaining share owned by the housing association. In most cases, shared owners can choose to buy additional shares later on to increase their equity.
The Help to Buy equity loan is designed to help you purchase specific new-build properties priced up to £600,000 from participating registered developers with as little as a 5% deposit.
The Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new-build home, so you’ll only need to provide a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest. You also won’t be charged loan fees on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home.
How are shared ownership applications prioritised?
Demand for shared ownership homes exceeds supply in Waverley. In cases where there are more interested applicants than properties available, the council prioritises shared ownership applicants in the order below.
See the Waverley Shared Ownership Practice Note for more information.
High priority (1 or more of the following):
- Applicant is a council or Registered Provider Association tenant in Waverley.
- Applicant is an eligible MOD personnel.
- Applicants with a village connection for rural exception housing schemes.
Medium priority (in priority order):
Applicant has a live/work connection or immediate family living in the borough AND in housing need, by virtue of 1 or more of the following:
- Applicant is under threat of impending homelessness.
- Applicant needs to move for medical reasons.
- Applicant requires additional bedroom for children / carer.
- Applicant is living with relative or in lodgings sharing facilities.
- Existing low cost home ownership households who need to transfer.
- Then households who live or work in the borough.
- Then households seeking employment in the borough.
Low priority (1 or more of the following):
- Households who do not live or work in the borough.
- Households unable to proceed swiftly with purchase of a property.
- Owner occupiers with accommodation suitable for their needs.
How to apply
To apply for shared ownership and other affordable home ownership schemes in Waverley applicants must be registered with the Help To Buy Agent, BPHA.
To register, please use this link: Apply online - Help To Buy East & South East.
Page owner: Esther Lear. Last updated: 31/07/2017 16:20