Permission to remove hedgerows
If you want to remove a hedgerow, or part of a hedgerow which is protected, you must contact us before doing any work, by submitting a Hedgerow Removal Notice. If you are not sure if the hedgerow you want to remove is protected, contact us on 01483 523307 to find out.
What is a protected hedgerow?
These are hedges which:
- grow in, or beside any common land, Local Nature Reserve, Site of Special Scientific Interest, land used for agriculture, forestry or the breeding or keeping of horses, ponies or donkey
- have a continuous length of at least 20 metres, or if less than 20 metres, meets another hedgerow at each end.
The regulations do not apply to any hedgerows marking a boundary of a domestic house.
You can get further guidance on the planning portal.
Want to know more about trees and hedges?
- Works to protected trees and trees in Conservation Areas
- Report tree issues online
- Felling Licence applications: please contact the Forestry Commission
- Visit the Planning Portal for further advice
Page owner: Sophie Piper. Last updated: 09/08/2017 10:58