Trees with TPOs and Trees in Conservation Areas
General tree advice
Find out how Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) are made with our adopted Tree Guidelines.
If you are thinking of buying a house with trees in the garden, please read our leaflet before exchanging contracts.
Applying for permission to carry out works on protected trees or trees in a conservation area
Are my trees protected?
Before you do any work on a tree, you should contact us to find out if the tree is protected by a TPO, is subject to planning conditions, or if it is in a conservation area or subject to other planning constraints. There is a substantial fine for carrying out any works to a protected tree without our consent.
- You should always use a professional tree surgeon, who will be covered by public liability insurance
- Never employ house callers or leaflet droppers claiming to be professional tree surgeons
- Reputable tree surgeons will always have some proof of their professional identification and qualifications. Always ask to see it
- Find reputable tree surgeons on the Arboricultural Association website.
Waverley's Tree Officers can offer advice on:
- Tree health and tree maintenance relating to trees subject to Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs),
- Trees in conservation areas
- Trees subject to historic (20th Century) Planning Conditions
- Potential TPO tree work applications and Conservation Area tree work notifications.
- Potential development proposals (not forming part of other wider pre-application advice) or works to trees not subject of statutory controls
For advice, fill in a tree advice form
Please provide as much information as possible about the proposed works, such as tree identification, draft plans and photographs. All of this information will help the officer to provide an appropriate and informed response. There is a £25 charge for a formal response and/or to conduct further research or a site visit. You can make a payment online via the tree advice form.
There is no charge for answering simple queries or enquiries, such as basic checks on tree controls and we can often do this over the phone.
Contact the Trees and Landscape Team
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01483 523307
- Address: Trees and Landscape Team, Planning Policy, Waverley Borough Council, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR
Page owner: Jennie Falconer. Last updated: 04/02/2014 09:30