The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires that the Council to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in Waverley for their own self-build and custom housebuilding. Self-build housing is when someone directly organises the design and construction of their new home, while custom build housing is typically defined as when someone commissions a specialist developer to help to deliver their own home.

The Register will be used to inform the Council about the level of demand for self-build and custom build plots in the borough so it can plan to meet this need. Entering the register does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or made available to applicants. The Council is not obliged to find plots that match your specific requirements so you may have to undertake your own research to identify a suitable plot.

Any proposals for self-build or custom-build housing will require a formal planning application and will be subject to all relevant planning policies.  The Council has a Pre-Application Planning Advice service which we encourage you to use if you would like to discuss your self-build or custom-build proposal with us.


Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA state other than the UK or a national of Switzerland, and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individuals sole or main residence

Register your interest

If you are a couple or members of the same household, please apply as an individual applicant and nominate one person as the ‘lead contact’ whose name and address will be included in the register.

Register as an individual

If you are applying on behalf of an association (a group of people who wish to secure several plots for self or custom housebuilding) you will need to give details of eligibility (name, address, date of birth and nationality) for each member of the association.

Register as an association


If you have any queries or need help or advice in completing the form, please contact the Planning Policy Team - or call (01483) 523146

More information about custom and self build is available at

Page owner: Sophie Piper. Last updated: 28/11/2017 09:57