Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:
- your income
- your savings or capital (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you)
- the size and (for some private tenants), the condition of your home, compared with similar homes in the area.
- the amount of your rent you have to pay
- other people living with you.
Who does housing benefit apply to?
Housing benefit applies to tenants living in:
- a council property
- privately rented accommodation (the allowance for these tenants is known as Local Housing Allowance and the rates are set separately)
- a hostel
- housing association accommodation.
Page owner: Penny Anderson. Last updated: 04/05/2017 10:58