A vehicle is classified as abandoned if it is untaxed and the owner or keeper cannot be identified, or fails to respond to a legal notice.
If you believe a vehicle to be abandoned, please check its registration on the DVLA website before reporting it to the Council. We can only investigate if the vehicle is untaxed.
During investigation, if no one claims responsibility for the vehicle in the given statutory length of time, a contractor can be employed to remove it for disposal.
We cannot dispose of a vehicle if the owner has confirmed responsibility for it.
How to report an abandoned vehicle
If you see what appears to be an abandoned vehicle on a public road or council land, please check the DVLA website and if the vehicle is untaxed report it:
Text the Environmental Services Team on 07786 202686.
Make sure you include:
- your surname
- your property name or number
- your postcode
- the make, model and colour of the vehicle
- the registration number
- the vehicle's location
For more information on this service please see our guide to texting.
Call the Environmental Services Team on 01483 523524.
Please note we do not accept reports from anonymous callers.
When you call to report an abandoned vehicle, please give us the following details:
- Make and type and colour of vehicle
- Registration number
- How long you think it has been there
- Location - be as exact as possible e.g. "x miles from the village by the junction with B1000" or "outside number 34"
- Condition of vehicle - eg "all windows broken" or "on bricks".
Page owner: Carolyn Jarvis-Grogan. Last updated: 21/09/2016 10:40