We collect food waste from your green caddy once a week. You should also have a smaller silver caddy which you can keep in your kitchen. If you haven't got a food waste caddy or if you need a new one, you can order one online.
What to put in your caddy
All cooked and uncooked food or uneaten leftovers can be put into your silver caddy. When it's full empty it into your green caddy. If you live in a flat, empty your kitchen caddy into the wheeled food waste bin in the communal waste area.
Lining your caddies
- You can line your silver food waste caddy with plastic bags or liners making it easier and cheaper to recycle your food. You can use old shopping bags, bread or salad bags as well as newspaper, kitchen towel or compostable liners. Please do not, however, use plastic food packaging or dispose of extra unwanted plastic bags in your caddy.
- Improved technology at the plant where the food waste is taken means that the machinery can split and remove the plastic bags from the food and use both to make energy.
- Please note that this does NOT mean that plastic bags can now be put in your main blue recycling bin.
Caddies and collections
Keep your small silver kitchen caddy indoors. The larger green caddy should be kept outside, ideally out of the sun. Find out what you can put in your food waste caddy.
Please do not put your silver caddy inside your green caddy for collection. Only the green caddy should be placed at the kerbside for collection.
Your green food waste caddy will be emptied weekly. Help prevent unwanted pests by making sure the lid is locked tightly closed. Put your green food waste caddy out for collection, with your rubbish or recycling bin, by 7am on your waste collection day.
Check bin collection day
How to reduce food waste
- Make a shopping list so you only buy what you need.
- Keep your fridge cool (1-5 degrees) and chilled food will stay fresh for longer.
- Think of recipes you could use for left-over food, for more information visit the Love Food Hate Waste website.
Page owner: Carolyn Jarvis-Grogan. Last updated: 23/05/2017 11:18