Join us on our weekly health walks and take part in regular exercise meeting new people. Best of all the are FREE.
All you need to do is turn up in suitable clothes and comfortable shoes to enjoy the walk.
Details about the walks
- Most walks are 40-60 minutes and approximately two miles.
- Walk routes vary every week, some locations offer a longer walk once every month.
- Walks take account of the pace of the slowest person, but the aim is for brisk walking to increase your heart rate and make you breathe a little faster than normal.
Register before your first walk
Please allow five minutes to register at the start of your first walk so you can fill in a brief registration form.
You will need your GP's agreement if you have been diagnosed or have problems with your heart, balance, joints or bones or have experienced pains in the chest.
Walk times and locations
To ensure that walks are available for all abilities a 30 minute maximum walk is offered from the venues as follows:
- Haslemere - first Tuesday of the month at 3pm from Haslewey Community Centre.
- Farnham - first Tuesday of the month at 10.30am from Brightwell's Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way.
- Godalming - second Thursday of the month at 11am from the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park. The meeting point can be found opposite the council offices car park (yellow barriers)
- Every Wednesday and Saturday at 11am at Cranleigh Leisure Centre. These Cranleigh walks tend to be slightly longer and faster (approximately 90 mins and are from 3-4 miles long). New walkers are recommended to start with the shorter walks.
- Every Tuesday at 10.30am at Brightwell's Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way. Two walks are offered each week, including a shorter slower walk which takes about 60 mins. A third faster, longer walk is also offered on the last Tuesday of each month, for the more experienced walkers.
Tea and coffee is available at the end of every walk (payable at the time), and on the last Tuesday of the month, all walkers are invited to come along to a lunch at the Gostrey Centre (payable at the time).
- Every Thursday at 11am at the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park; opposite the Council Offices car park entrance.
- A longer walk replaces the short walk on the first Thursday of each month; this includes a pub lunch (payable at the time).
- Every Tuesday at 2.30pm at Haslewey Community Centre.
- Every Thursday at 1pm from the High Lane Community Centre.
- Every Saturday at 11am from Haslemere Leisure Centre.
New volunteer leaders wanted
We always need new leaders and full training is provided on a local one-day training courses. No previous experience is necessary, just a willingness to help and an enjoyment of walking to share with others.
If you are interested in training to become a walk leader, please try a walk, then contact Steve Little at Places for People, SteveLittle@pfpleisure.org 01252 723208 to register your interest.
About Walks for Health
The Waverley Walks for Health scheme is part of Walking for Health (a national initiative now led by the Ramblers, with support from Macmillan Cancer Support).
Contact your local leisure centre for details on specific walks in your area:
- Haslemere Tel: 01428 658484
- Godalming Tel: 01483 410500
- Farnham Tel: 01252 723208
- Cranleigh Tel: 01483 274400
For general information about all walks in the scheme, please contact Gemma Jones (Walks for Health Contact at Places for People)
Tel: 01483 410500
Walks for Ward
If you like the sound of a ramble through the stunning countryside, then why not join the Walks for the Wards event. This event offers both 5 and 10 mile routes through Surrey's countryside, whether you're after a few hours' exercise in the sunshine or are taking part in memory of loved one it's the perfect event.
You'll begin and end in the picturesque village of Tilford and can indulge in a declicious cream tea at the end of the walk as a reward for all your hard work. These routes will take you through Frensham common and the surrounding areas and back up to Tilford. All ages and abilities can take part in this fun day out with family and friends - you can even bring your four-legged friend, as dogs are welcome too (please keep them on a lead)
Date: Sunday 11 June 2017
Location: Waverley Abbey School, The Street, Tilford, Farnham GU10 2AE
Time: Start time range from 9.30am - 11.30am
Registration fee: £12 for adults, £5 for children (U14). Please note it will be higher on the day.
Online Registration is now open
Page owner: Terry Ford. Last updated: 15/05/2017 14:22