GPs and Health Professionals can refer appropriate patients to a qualified exercise specialist. The specialist devises and delivers a 12 week tailored exercise programme for the patient, at a reduced price.
Am I eligible for the GP Exercise Referral scheme?
Patients who are over 11, are able to exercise and suffer from any of these medical conditions, may qualify for the scheme:
Weight loss (conditions apply)
Asthma - not exercise induced and in addition to at least being a smoker and/or sedentary
Arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Post Phase IV Cardiac Rehab
Joint injury rehabilitation
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
Cancer - following treatment and in remission
How will the scheme help me?
Research shows that increasing the amount of physical activity you do can make significant improvements to your health, well-being and lifestyle. Exercise:
- Decreases the risk of heart disease
- Reduces blood pressure
- Controls body weight and decreases body fat
- Improves strength, co-ordination, mobility and balance
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Enhances immune system
- Improves mental well being and reduces the risk of depression
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Increases energy levels
- Controls diabetes
- Prevents and treats muscle and bone injuries and diseases
How much will it cost?
The initial registration fee is £15. You then have two options:
- Pay as you go = £4.30 per gym session or group fitness class and £3.30 per swim
- One off payment = £70 for 12 weeks unlimited exercise sessions (gym, class or swim)
How do I join the scheme?
Visit your local GP or Health Professional and ask if they will refer you on to the Waverley Exercise Referral scheme. Ensure that they give you the referral form and patient leaflet.
Book an initial appointment with your local leisure centre by visiting or contacting one of the sites.
Find out more from your local leisure centres.
Page owner: Terry Ford. Last updated: 01/08/2017 12:42