If you know you are at risk of flooding, you can prepare in advance and should consider improving flood defences on windows and doors. Many products can be installed in advance, then simply clipped on and off when needed - such as the 'flood board' or air brick cover.
We only have a limited supply of sandbags and our first priority will be to support and assist the vulnerable in our community and safeguard essential community buildings as appropriate.
Please note that there is no statutory requirement for the council to provide sandbags or to make sandbags available.
Immediate risk of flooding
If your property is at immediate threat to flooding, please contact the Southern Monitoring Service on 02392 242 161.
You will need to put the sandbags in place once the sandbags they have been delivered to you.
Are you at risk of flooding?
National Flood Forum
The National Flood Forum is a national charity dedicated to supporting and representing communities and individuals at risk of flooding. They:
- help communities to prepare for flooding in order to prevent it or mitigate its impacts
- help communities to recover their lives one they have been flooded
- campaign on behalf of flood risk communities and work with government and agencies to ensure that they develop a community perspective.
If you have been flooded, advice from Public Health England
Any flood water should be regarded as potentially contaminated and precautions should be taken to reduce the risk of infections:
- Avoid contact with floodwater and wash your hands regularly.
- Seek medical advice for illness and mention the flood if you see your GP within ten days for abdominal complaints.
- Clean work surfaces before and after preparing food.
- For food safety advice after flooding, including how to make baby food without mains water, contact the Food Standards Agency.
- Do not eat food that has touched flood water and don't eat fresh food from the fridge or freezer if your electricity has been turned off.
For more detailed information including frequently asked health questions please see hpa.org.uk.
Page owner: Laura Moyano . Last updated: 18/04/2017 13:45