Council tenants usually have the right to buy their homes.

 You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • it is your principal and primary residence
  • it is self-contained
  • you are a secure tenant
  • you have had a public sector landlord (e.g. a council, housing association or NHS trust) for three years - it does not have to be three years in a row.

Buying your home is a big financial decision so take time to consider whether it is the right choice for you. You will be taking on new responsibilities as owner including the maintenance and repair of your home. Please see Your right to buy your home website to check your eligibility for Right to Buy.

The Money Advice Service provides helpful financial advice and a Mortgage Payment Calculator can help you work out how much you will be paying should you decide to take on a mortgage.

Apply to buy your council home 

If you are eligible and want to apply, please email for a Right to Buy pack.

Page owner: Caroline Ottery. Last updated: 07/04/2017 15:52