If you discover rats in your home or garden, in someone else's garden or in any communal area, please contact Property Services via email: repairs.housing@waverley.gov.uk

They will arrange for a pest control contractor to attend and put down poison. This is a free service for tenants.


Wasps will only be dealt with if the nest or swarm is found inside your home or in communal areas. Contact Property Services via email: repairs.housing@waverley.gov.uk


Bees are a protected species and Environmental Health can arrange for bee swarms to be collected. Contact the Environmental Health Team on environmentalhealth@waverley.gov.uk or 01483 523393.

Squirrels, pigeons or mice in communal areas

If you discover creatures such as squirrels, pigeons or mice in the communal areas of flats - for instance in halls, loft areas, landings, stairways or cupboard areas - you must report them to the Tenancy and Estates Team on 01483 523163. They can arrange for specialist contractors to deal with them free of charge.

If we find that a tenant has caused the mice to infest a communal area, we will charge them for the cost of dealing with the problem.

Pests in your home

If you find ants, woodlice or mice inside your home, then you will have to deal with them yourself. You can get advice from our Environmental Health Team, but you must pay for any treatment they carry out. You can also visit your local pet shop and buy a product to get rid of the problem.

Our pest control contractors will deal with pigeons and squirrels only if they are nesting in the eaves or roof space of Council properties. If they are nesting in your garden, we are not responsible for getting rid of them.

We will get rid of fleas, bedbugs and cockroaches for you but only if you discover and report them within four weeks of the start of your tenancy. If removing them is your responsibility, we can do it for you at a cost. If you receive benefits, we will reduce the charge.

For more information please visit Pest Control Service.

If you are elderly or disabled

If you are elderly or disabled and you have no one to help you, contact your Tenancy and Estates Officer on 01483 523163. If you live in sheltered accommodation, speak to your Scheme Manager.

Page owner: Caroline Ottery. Last updated: 19/10/2017 16:50