Do you need building regulation approval?

You need to apply for building regulations for most construction projects. This includes new buildings, extensions, conversions and alterations. You may need building regulation approval even if you don't need planning permission. 

The following building works may require building regulation approval:

  • building or extending a building
  • changing the internal structure of a building
  • installing or adding new heating and hot water systems, toilets, electrics, windows and doors etc
  • changing the use of a building (such as the conversion of a house into two or more flats)
  • adding cavity wall insulation
  • underpinning a building

The following building works won't require building regulation approval:

  • Conversatories*
  • Porches*
  • Carports
  • Covered yards and covered ways*
  • Agricultural buildings*

*subject to exemption criteria.  

Visit the Planning Portal for further information and advice on Building Regulations and the latest government policy.

Page owner: Lindsay Goodman. Last updated: 17/10/2017 13:34