Home improvements

Before carrying out any type of improvements to your home, such as putting up a satellite dish, replacing a kitchen or changing the electric fittings, you must get written permission from Waverley Borough Council. 

Please email housing.repairs@waverley.gov.uk and give us a mobile number so we can contact you. We may arrange to visit you by appointment if appropriate.

You will need to tell us:

  • details of the work that you want to do
  • that you have obtained the relevant planning permission or permission from building control for the work (if required)
  • who will be doing the work as we need to make sure they are suitably qualified.  If the work causes any damage, you will have to pay for the repairs. 

We may refuse permission for improvements if:

  • there is less living space in your home
  • they will make your home unsafe
  • the improvements create disadvantages for neighbouring homes
  • they make it more expensive for us to maintain your home

If approved you will become responsible for the future upkeep, repair and maintenance of any improvements that you make.

Aids and adaptations

If you are disabled or have serious health issues we may be able to adapt your home so you can live in it safely and independently.  If you would like to find out more on this please see our aids and adaptations page.



Page owner: Caroline Ottery. Last updated: 11/04/2017 10:53