Village and Town Design Statements
What are Village and Town Design Statements?
Village Design Statements (VDS) and Town Design Statements (TDS) are tools that help to make decisions on design and development. They provide a clear statement of the character of a particular village or town against which planning applications may be assessed.
They also provide a framework for local people to determine how their community might develop and grow and how development can be in keeping with their local surroundings. They also help developers to understand local views and perceptions, enabling them to propose new development that will gain local support, rather than generate conflict and opposition.
Village and Town Design Statements are not about whether development should take place (this is the purpose of the Local Development Framework), but assess how development should be undertaken so as to respect the local identity.
- The Village Design (Making local character count in new development) Part 1 and Part 2 are useful for Village Design Statements.
- Town Design Statements (Why and how to produce them) is an added layer specifically written for larger towns.
These documents go through all the relevant stages from preparation, to research and finally publication.
The documents are produced and drawn up by people living in the area to which the Statement relates and not by the Planning Service.
Local people are best placed to identify local character and distinctiveness which could help to improve the general quality of design. They are also able to describe the setting, pattern and shape of a settlement, the nature of buildings and spaces, local materials, landmarks, unique qualities and special features.
When submitting a planning application in an area covered by a VDS or TDS, it is strongly suggested that the document is referred to in the accompanying Design and Access Statement. This should clearly explain how the VDS or TDS has been considered when developing the proposal.
Over the next few webpage's is a protocol to provide initial advice and guidance to those thinking of preparing a VDS/TDS and some background to those who wish to use an adopted VDS/TDS. The complete protocol can also be downloaded as a single document.
Page owner: Sarah Wells. Last updated: 24/05/2012 10:29
Further pages in Village and Town Design Statements
- What are Village and Town Design Statements?
- Objectives of a Village and Town Design Statement
- What is an effective Village and Town Design Statement?
- Planning and Village and Town Design Statements
- Preparing a Village or Town Design Statement
- What can Waverley do to help?
- Are there any limitations to a Village or Town Design Statement?
- Some useful advice and FAQs
- Waverley's Village and Town Design Statements
- Haslemere Design Statement
- Churt Village Design Statement
- Farnham Design Statement
- Thursley Village Design Statement
- Frensham Village Design Statement
- Cranleigh Design Statement
- Wonersh Village Design Statement
- Dunsfold Village Design Statement
- Elstead Village Design Statement