What is Community Asset Transfer?
The aim of Community Asset Transfer is to enable buildings or land to be transferred to voluntary and community sector organisations or social enterprise for community use. These arrangements range from short-term licences to long leases.
Managing and taking charge of the day-to-day running of these facilities helps to empower local communities and can bring opportunities for greater independence and financial sustainability. When done well, Community Asset Transfer can create lasting change in local neighbourhoods.
Waverley Borough Council’s Community Asset Transfer Policy
The council has adopted a Community Asset Transfer Policy which sets out the criteria for organisations wishing to apply for Community Asset Transfer.
The policy contains details of the various stages of the application and the decision-making process. All prospective applicants are urged to read the policy in full before submitting an application or making enquiries.
Who can apply?
Community, voluntary or faith organisations who can demonstrate that they are or will be:
- properly constituted with strong and open governance arrangements
- in a position to hold property
- able to manage the asset efficiently, including finances, health and safety and other operational issues
- charitable or non-profit making and generating social, economic or environmental benefits which directly benefit the people of Waverley
- open to and demonstrate an inclusive approach to members of the wider community
- if you are a new group forming for the purposes of Community Asset Transfer or are collaborating on a bid, then you will still need to ensure that you are properly constituted with strong and open governance arrangements
Further criteria are set out within the council’s Community Asset Transfer Policy.
Who cannot apply?
organisations that operate solely for commercial, political or religious activities (unless you change your purposes and your governance and aims and objectives).
The application process
The Asset Transfer Process is described in detail in Section 10 of the Community Asset Transfer Policy.
For further information on Community Asset Transfer in Waverley, please contact:
Daniel Bainbridge, Borough Solicitor
Tel: 01483 523235
Page owner: . Last updated: 07/08/2015 09:20