Waverley Borough Council

FAQs: Building regulations

Click a question to reveal the answer.

Building regulations FAQs

Q: Are building works for disabled people exempt from Building Regulation charges?

Q: What is FENSA?

Q: What is the Party Wall Act?


The Act came into force on 1 July 1997 and applies throughout England and Wales. It is designed to prevent and resolve disputes regarding party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.


Anyone intending to carry out work of the kind described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions. 


An explanatory booklet is available on the communities and Local Government website.


For further information you can try:



Answer Updated by , 31/05/2012 14:19

Q: What are the competent persons self-certification schemes?

Q: I am carrying out work on a listed building. Do I need to pay vat on Building Control charges?

Q: I want to extend my house but have a sewer in my garden. Can I build over it?

Q: Are building inspections free?

Q: At what stages of the works must I notify Building Control?

Do you have a Question?

If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then click the button below.